Keeping on keeping on (build process)

IMG20160913084327

Continuing from the recent post……

The walls are up the sun is shining and its time to install the doors and windows. Earlier on i mentioned calculating the cavity size between weatherboard’s to internal face of the wall frame so we could get the width of the window reveal (the timber frame around the window). Because we are retrofitting a shed frame the cavity is wider then usual “241mm” As shown in the image below.

img20160706173247
The reveal width is equivalent to the baton width, purlin width, frame width and plasterboard width combined.

241mm is from what i found out allot wider then the usual window reveal and ordering timber in that width was the expensive option so we opted to use 18mm ply board. Once the ply was purchased we cut the full sheets into 241mm lengths and joint them together using a biscuit joiner, p.v.a glue and timber screws.This was all new to me and a quick lesson on Youtube lifted the fog. Before long we had all window reveals completed.

IMG20160710155240
First window reveal completed with flashing fitted.

With all the windows now ready for install it was time to transport them 430km south to our cottage…… After nearly loosing all of the windows off the back of the truck before we drove out of the driveway i had little hope we would get them their in one piece and with my track record the numbers where stacked against us.

6 hours later that night we arrive at our property with surprisingly all windows still on board and even more surprisingly no damage. I mentioned in a previous post that i had made one mistake that would come back for me and i was about to find that out within seconds of being at the cottage.

The rookie mistake #2

Apparently when you are building timber stud frames you allow an extra 10-15mm gap either side of the window opening this allows you to compensate with packers any bows and bends in the window frame and or timber frame. Now the really silly part is i had been told this previously and some how i still managed to not do this….. so at 12.30am i realized all the windows i had made up where not going to fit… again the whole sinking stomach thing was going on i could feel the temperature of my head increasing and that flustered state of mind had set in so i admitted defeat and took myself and sorrows off to sleep as it was now 1.00am.

The next morning the sun was up and it was perfect weather to try and piece together a plan for getting the windows to fit. It turns out i had made an allowance (hooray for me) just that it was not enough… i needed another 15mm. This is where the power saw makes an appearance and within an hour the window openings are an extra 15 or so mm wider (7-8mm either side of the opening was cut away) all the while taking care to remove the minimum as not to weaken the frame to much. Before long windows are in and screwed in place Note the windows are not screwed tight in the top of the reveal and this allows the lintel in the timber frame to settle over time without putting downward pressure on the top of the reveal resulting in a bend. Doors then follow in a similar fashion although i had managed to fit them first time round so it was not a total defeat.

Wrapping her up

Next step was installing the “Sarking” or builders paper this was achieved by rolling out lengths as long as the wall and fixing it in place with sarking clips (funny square nail/staple)

16466177_10154899731985797_1593836639_o
Fixing the sarking in place (I probably shouldn’t be on the top rung of the ladder and i just noticed the friend helping me has no socks on?)

 

With the Sarking now complete the structure is semi weatherproof which enables us to move onto completing internal works and store materials in a dry place.

Lessons learnt

Measure twice cut once – Turns out this actually has meaning and can help save considerable time. If i had checked that i had allowed an extra 15mm either side of my window openings i would not have had to butcher my timber frames to fit the windows.

Hammers and fingers don’t mix – After struggling with nailing the clips in i realised sarking clips are much easier to nail in if you leave them in the long strips they come in simply nail first then snap the remainder off.

Next stop……Purlins, baton & Weather board.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s